Service enabled by default

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 11:55:21 UTC 2011

On 06/06/2011 11:27 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 11:08:10 +0000,
>    "\"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson\""<johannbg at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> >  I think it's time for the Gnome desktop team to revisit and review which
>> >  services are enabled by default on the livecd/usb and enable only those
>> >  that benefit the novice desktop end user.
>> >
>> >  Alot of services are enabled by default that are aimed at enterprise
>> >  users and to some extend enterprise hardware usages which would never be
>> >  used on a regular desktop/tablet/notebook pc like for example fcoe,
>> >  lldpad, iscsi, iscsid, mdmonitor etc. which administrators should enable
>> >  encase they use it in their enterprise environment.
>> >
>> >  A bit of discussion about this is happening in bug 707553
> For some of these, the issue is more about detecting the attached hardware
> and only enabling the services on install that are actually usable.

That would be the best scenario..

> When running as a live image, those services should be enabled so that
> they can use the hardware if it is present.

Not really from my pov.

I'm not seeing anyone in enterprise environment with enterprise hardware
using a livecd/usb and if they are they would not be using fcoe lldpad,
iscsi, iscsid, mdmonitor etc for ( a one time ) live bootup and even if
they did they would possess the knowledge of enable it in that case .

I'm not aware of anyone that uses a livecd/usb on a hardware with fcoe
lldpad, iscsi, iscsid, mdmonitor ( server hw ).

I guess it all falls down to who are we targeting with the livecd/usb.

JBG