Service enabled by default

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jun 6 12:08:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 11:55:21 +0000,
  "\"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson\"" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not really from my pov.
>
> I'm not seeing anyone in enterprise environment with enterprise
> hardware using a livecd/usb and if they are they would not be using
> fcoe lldpad, iscsi, iscsid, mdmonitor etc for ( a one time ) live
> bootup and even if they did they would possess the knowledge of
> enable it in that case .
>
> I'm not aware of anyone that uses a livecd/usb on a hardware with
> fcoe lldpad, iscsi, iscsid, mdmonitor ( server hw ).
>
> I guess it all falls down to who are we targeting with the livecd/usb.

I think it is a bad idea for live images to not just work. I wouldn't
expect there to be a lot of use on enterprise hardware, but for doing
recovery people might want to do this.

The real problem with the services listed was that a few use a significant
amount of resources, even when the hardware to be supported isn't present.
I think the effort would be better spent addressing that, rather than
not supporting that hardware on live images.

Properly handling whether the services should be on or off during install
will take significant work, but maybe less than fixing the real problem.
The installs are done differently than normal installs, so we can't
directly use the method used for normal installs for live installs.
But presumably we could borrow ideas from that code.