Proposal: Too similar application names

Vitezslav Humpa vhumpa at redhat.com
Mon Jun 6 13:04:16 UTC 2011

> I agree, this is a good starting point.  I don't really see the point
> of the popups,
> but if other folks think they're necessary, I won't argue.

Wouldn't have to be popups. Actually they are used now to provide a
textual description of what the application does, e.g. for "Brasero
Disk Burner" -> "Create and copy CDs and DVDs", which just seem better
than having "Brasero Disk Burner" -> "Brasero". This unfortunately
doesn't provide for the distinguishment we seek, e.g. in example of two
terminals the popups are: "Terminal emulator" and "Use the command line"

> In theory, the technical side should be a thirty second fix.  The
> issue would
> be deciding new names.  Some things shouldn't be too difficult, such as
> renaming Software Updates to Software Sources.

Combination of previous brings an idea - instead of modifying
application names, we could alter the problematic applications' popups
by adding a binary e.g like: "Terminal: Terminal emulator" and
"Konsole: Use the command line".
This way:
  + Both names would stay the same, so we wouldn't have do any actual
    renaming and (!) we'd evade any "arguing" among desktops
  + The original explanatory use of popups would be kept
  - Great for LXDE and XFCE, but there are no popups in Gnome 3 yet, thus
    out of direct reach of Fedora for now.

> I wonder if this should be a QA test?  It would help with improving the
> end product for us to check things like this, but it is also fairly
> subjective
> as to what constitutes as 'too similar.'  I'm for it, but the
> aforementioned
> subjective nature makes coming up with a clear release criteria
> difficult.

I agree that deciding what is "too similar" can be a tricky one. But
for most of the current apps the problem's simpler - the names are the
same.

Let's bring this up on today's QA meeting, I am sure we'll get a good
input on which way to go there.

Thanks!
Vita
--