Service enabled by default

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jun 6 15:10:43 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 10:11:40 -0500,
  Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > Disabling services that support hardware by default is not the appropriate
> > way forward.
>
> I think you misread his email, Bruno.
>
> For example: Most people don't need LLDP turned on, and I can say that
> with certainty unless there is a huge data center following and we cater
> exclusively to them. It's things like this that end up polluting Fedora
> boot over time and /that/ is not the appropriate way forward.

Supporting rarely used hardware is hardly catering to exclusive groups.
It is actually being more inclusive. Running the services isn't directly
a problem. There was a concern, because at least one of these services
was using a significant amount of CPU time even when there was no matching
hardware attached. These are the kind of issues that need to be addressed.