Default terminal in GNOME 3

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri Jun 24 08:51:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 23:10 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> I wondered how to set the default terminal in GNOME 3. The internet
> revealed
>
> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec <terminal>
> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec-arg "'-e'"
>
> This raises 2 questions:
>      1. Will it be possible to set the default terminal again in GNOME
>         3.2?

It's possible, but I really wouldn't want to see it in the UI. Feel free
to ask gnome-tweak-tool to add it.

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gsettings-desktop-schemas/tree/schemas/org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.gschema.xml.in.in#n42

>  In the past we had the xml
>         files in /usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-apps/ which
>         contained an 'exec-flag'. How can I as a maintainer of several
>         terminal applications let people know the proper
>         exec-flag/exec-arg?

Is that XML file not current anymore? I don't really understand the
question.