Default terminal in GNOME 3

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri Jun 24 08:54:20 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 11:16 +1300, Dagan McGregor wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:10:28 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > I wondered how to set the default terminal in GNOME 3. The internet
> > revealed
> >
> > gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec
> > <terminal>
> > gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal
> > exec-arg "'-e'"
> >
> > This raises 2 questions:
> >      1. Will it be possible to set the default terminal again in
> > GNOME
> >         3.2?
> >      2. Where is 'exec-arg' arg coming from? In the past we had the
> > xml
> >         files in /usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-apps/ which
> >         contained an 'exec-flag'. How can I as a maintainer of
> > several
> >         terminal applications let people know the proper
> >         exec-flag/exec-arg?
>
>   I am not sure the exec-arg is required. At least it's not from my
>  experience. I set the 'Open Terminal' keybind to find the default
>  terminal was not configured, and had to use the first command above for
>  terminal to open.
>
>   I am also curious if anyone can advise, is it possible to get terminal
>  apps to appear in the ALT-TAB window switch view, seperate from Gnome
>  Terminal. For users of irssi or mutt, etc.
>
>   At the moment my irssi terminal profile is grouped under Gnome
>  Terminal, even when opening from a .desktop file of my own making.
>   So I guess I am possibly missing an option.

My guess is that you would need a .desktop file, and use the --class
parameter to gnome-terminal.

But one shouldn't really have to do this by hand, and the problem is
similar to the creation of "web apps" from chrome or epiphany. Best
bring this up with the gnome-shell developers on the shell mailing-list.