Default terminal in GNOME 3

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 24 12:10:36 UTC 2011

Am Freitag, den 24.06.2011, 09:51 +0100 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
> On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 23:10 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > I wondered how to set the default terminal in GNOME 3. The internet
> > revealed
> >
> > gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec <terminal>
> > gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec-arg "'-e'"
> >
> > This raises 2 questions:
> >      1. Will it be possible to set the default terminal again in GNOME
> >         3.2?
>
> It's possible, but I really wouldn't want to see it in the UI. Feel free
> to ask gnome-tweak-tool to add it.

Why not? I consider this not a tweak but a very basic task. I mean, why
not force people to use evolution, epiphany and totem then?

> >      2. Where is 'exec-arg' arg coming from?
>
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gsettings-desktop-schemas/tree/schemas/org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.gschema.xml.in.in#n42

Well, I know there is a preset for gnome-terminal but what about other
terminals?

> >  In the past we had the xml
> >         files in /usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-apps/ which
> >         contained an 'exec-flag'. How can I as a maintainer of several
> >         terminal applications let people know the proper
> >         exec-flag/exec-arg?
>
> Is that XML file not current anymore? I don't really understand the
> question.

Right, there are no XML files any longer. Xfce's Terminal package still
has one (because it was built a while ago) but the value is not picked
up. gnome-terminal no longer provides an XML file. I looked for a
X-GNOME-* key in gnome-terminal.desktop, but no luck either.

It seems like exec-flag/exec-arg only live in the schema you linked and
it is no longer possible for a developer/maintainer to deliver a working
configuration for other terminals. Is that correct?

Regards,
Christoph