Default terminal in GNOME 3

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri Jun 24 12:41:43 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 14:10 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 24.06.2011, 09:51 +0100 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
> > On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 23:10 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > > I wondered how to set the default terminal in GNOME 3. The internet
> > > revealed
> > >
> > > gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec <terminal>
> > > gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec-arg "'-e'"
> > >
> > > This raises 2 questions:
> > >      1. Will it be possible to set the default terminal again in GNOME
> > >         3.2?
> >
> > It's possible, but I really wouldn't want to see it in the UI. Feel free
> > to ask gnome-tweak-tool to add it.
>
> Why not? I consider this not a tweak but a very basic task. I mean, why
> not force people to use evolution, epiphany and totem then?

Because those are reasonable choices for an end-user to make, something
they can actually experience themselves. If you can grasp the
differences between the terminal emulators available you can run a
couple of commands in your "not preferred" terminal emulator.

> > >      2. Where is 'exec-arg' arg coming from?
> >
> > http://git.gnome.org/browse/gsettings-desktop-schemas/tree/schemas/org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.gschema.xml.in.in#n42
>
> Well, I know there is a preset for gnome-terminal but what about other
> terminals?

Because we're not designing a desktop for people who like to choose
their own terminal emulators.

> > >  In the past we had the xml
> > >         files in /usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-apps/ which
> > >         contained an 'exec-flag'. How can I as a maintainer of several
> > >         terminal applications let people know the proper
> > >         exec-flag/exec-arg?
> >
> > Is that XML file not current anymore? I don't really understand the
> > question.
>
> Right, there are no XML files any longer. Xfce's Terminal package still
> has one (because it was built a while ago) but the value is not picked
> up. gnome-terminal no longer provides an XML file. I looked for a
> X-GNOME-* key in gnome-terminal.desktop, but no luck either.
>
> It seems like exec-flag/exec-arg only live in the schema you linked and
> it is no longer possible for a developer/maintainer to deliver a working
> configuration for other terminals. Is that correct?

Huh? You change both keys, as mentioned above, and voila. Or you ship
the XML file in whatever ends up configuring the terminal.