Do we care about the GNOME 3 fallback mode?

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 23:16:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 23:55 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I see there is a lot of change going on for gnome-shell but I hardly see
> any improvements in the fallback mode. I expected the fallback to be the
> classic desktop I know from GNOME 2.x, but compared to what we had in
> F14 it is only a small piece and that is broken. Bugs filed against
> these components don't seem to get any attention.
>
> Do we care about the fallback mode? I think we should because it will be
> the default for a lot of users. So is it worth filing bugs or to set up
> a tracker bug or are you not going to have time to look after it anyway?

We do care about it.

You don't see many improvements there yet, because most of them are
still on Colins harddrive. But I have a suspicion that you will not view
many of them as actual improvements, since they are not about moving the
fallback mode closer to 2.x, but about moving the fallback mode closer
to 3.

Filing Fedora bugs about it may not be very effective. As you've
noticed, we simply cannot pay equal attention to two bugtracking
systems, and the upstream one is where most of the GNOME3-related bug
activity happens for GNOME components.

Matthias