gdm changes and the live cd

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Sat Mar 5 01:35:24 UTC 2011

On 03/04/2011 06:25 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> There are some changes in GDM and GNOME3 that affect our live cd setup,
> and will require some changes:
> We no longer show icons on the desktop, so there is no immediately
> obvious place to show the 'install to hard disk' launcher. The
> alternatives are to make it a favourite in the shell overview, or to add
> it as a menuitem in the user menu. Both of these have some drawbacks
> (the favourite does not display any text, leaving the user to guess from
> the icon, the user menu requires a gnome-shell patch). An alternative
> I'd like to propose is to simply autostart the installer. That will make
> it hard to overlook, and seems to nicely emphasize the main role of the
> live cd as a convenient way to install Fedora.
>
> Thoughts ?
>

> Matthias

What do you think about the desktop background containing a msg
something like:

This is a live installation of the Gnome desktop.  It is a temporary
installation that has not touched your hard drives. To install to your
hard drive, open a terminal and type "install-desktop" (no quotes).  Enjoy!!

--
Regards,
OldFart