No more panel applets?

Dagan McGregor ardrigh at acsonline.co.nz
Sun May 1 22:53:59 UTC 2011

 On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:13:30 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If panel applets are no longer supported we need
>>      * an announcement to all packagers
>
> The Release notes seems good enough, no?
>
>>      * to retire all applets and block them from F15 and rawhide
>
> This should come after:
>
>>      * gnome-panel properly obsolete the retired packages
>
> What about the attached patch?

  Is anyone able to advise what will happen to the hardware monitoring
 applet?

  Will this work in GNOME3 or GNOME Shell?  Or do we need to wait for
 new 'widgets' to appear in a later GNOME release (3.2?) for this sort of
 functionality to appear again?

  The hardware sensor applet is the main applet I use on my machine,
 apart from window switching.

  Cheers,
  Dagan