What launches notification-daemon?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 16 00:58:17 UTC 2011

Am Dienstag, den 15.11.2011, 12:46 -0500 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> On Tue, 2011-11-15 at 18:11 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>

> > Long story short: What do you suggest I should tell the people who
> > complain. They have asked what component they should file bugs against.
> > Are you ok with notification-daemon and polkit-gnome?
>
> Depends on what outcome you expect.

Hi Matthias,

my hope is to fix the problems for our users, this means less complains
and bug reports.

>  You can certainly file bugs against
> notification-daemon, but I don't see the autostart file coming back.

This means we would have to file bugs against *all* window and session
managers because ATM we are leaving a lot of people without any support
for policykit or notifications, which is a pretty massive regression
compared to F14.

> I don't think 'number of desktop files' is the thing we should be
> optimizing, and shared autostart files for desktop infrastructure are
> just a recipe for avoidable conflicts. All the OnlyShowIn and NotShowIn
> hackery is just treating the symptoms.

I understand your point and I agree it's just treating symptoms, but I
think that a proper use of OnlyShowIn and NotShowIn could fix most of
the problems - if we agree on a common set. Of course I am open to
suggestions, but so far I haven't heard any.

Regards,
Christoph