What launches notification-daemon?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 21:09:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 01:58:17 +0100, CW (Christoph) wrote:

> > > Long story short: What do you suggest I should tell the people who
> > > complain. They have asked what component they should file bugs against.
> > > Are you ok with notification-daemon and polkit-gnome?
> >
> > Depends on what outcome you expect.
>
> Hi Matthias,
>
> my hope is to fix the problems for our users, this means less complains
> and bug reports.
>
> >  You can certainly file bugs against
> > notification-daemon, but I don't see the autostart file coming back.
>
> This means we would have to file bugs against *all* window and session
> managers because ATM we are leaving a lot of people without any support
> for policykit or notifications, which is a pretty massive regression
> compared to F14.

I've reassigned  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/754036  to glib2 (libgio).

Apparently, XFCE does not run notification-daemon and not xfce4-notifyd
either, and that crashes apps in libgio. The crash is not reproducible
with GNOME, and I guess in XFCE will affect (=crash) any app that uses
libnotify.

With my enquiry on xfce list, I've tried to raise awareness of the issue,
not to complain.