Disable/remove "libsocialweb-core"

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Nov 29 18:18:01 UTC 2011

> "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" (johannbg at gmail.com) said:
> > >   2. asking how to get rid of it in a way that would leave his
> > >   gnome-shell working and still not put his personal info into danger in
> > >   case another similar bug in this lib appears in the future.
> >
> > Yes thanks Martin that's exactly what I meant.
>
> rpm -e --nodeps
>
> (when in doubt, try the obvious thing.)

Sabotaging the distribution's package management system really is not a
reasonable solution to anything.

I have to say I share Johann's concerns to some degree. It's quite
difficult to see why GNOME is going in this direction of considering
IM / social networking systems to be 'core desktop functionality'. They
are not. The fact that lots of people use such things does not, in and
of itself, make them necessarily a core part of the desktop.

Looked at from a high-level theoretical viewpoint, twitter and Google+
and facebook and MSN and whatever else are just communication mechanisms
- various slightly differently-presented ways of sending messages to
other people. Do we build an IRC client into Shell next? An email
client? Usenet? Did we build an IRC client or email client into the
GNOME 1 or GNOME 2 shells, when those communication methods were in
vogue? Those are also just different takes on the basic idea of
'intra-personal text-based communication'. Designing a desktop around
the precise format of whatever communication method happens to be in
vogue at the time you design it looks like an excellent way to engineer
obsolescence, to me.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey