What launches notification-daemon?

Elad elad at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 24 10:42:17 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Martin Sourada
<martin.sourada at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 19:42:48 +0200
> Christoph Wickert wrote:
>
> > What launches notification-daemon in F15? dbus? And why is it not
> > started in F16 any longer?
> >
> > The LXDE spin has no notifications and I'm wondering when/why this has
> > changed.
> >
> FYI, now that you mentioned it I discovered in my F15 it does not
> auto-start either (XFCE)...
>
> > Regards,
> > Christoph
> >
> Regards,
> Martin
>

> --

I think there was an autostart file for it not so long ago, I remember
seeing it on my F15 machine. But I can't seem to find it on both my f16 and
f15 machines, which is strange.
I don't remember what provided that file... I can't seem to find it in thee
notification-daemon package git, so it's probably not there.
Anyway, you should add notification-daemon.desktop to the autostart
directory, but make sure that it only starts when needed (ie. when not using
gnome-shell).

I think there was even a thread about it in this list, which said that every
desktop should take care of loading the notification-daemon on it's own.

--
-Elad Alfassa.