desktop comps

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Sep 7 13:22:33 UTC 2011

> Just going through and reviewing a F-16 install and I've some queries
> about various deps listed in the comps file for gnome-desktop to see
> if I can trim the size a little.
>
> gok: does this need to be default now with the new keyboard in gnome
> 3.2? Can it be made optional as its the only thing that pulls in
> ORBit2 and a couple of other deps and saves about 12mb

Yes, gok should become optional now. Thanks for pointing that out.

> Also why are there various libraries specified in the comps file, its
> only really suppose to specify apps and the libs then get pulled in as
> deps when needed. There's a few more meg to be save by dropping
> libsane-hpaio and its not used in the default install.

All the 'lib...' packages that are there are listed because they install modules of some sort that are not otherwise pulled in via dependencies.

I'm not sure we actually need to worry about dropping any space. I want to find some time this week to look at the live cd, but from what I hear, we already have lots of free space there.