InstallFedoraButton for LiveCD

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Fri Apr 20 09:59:37 UTC 2012

> On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 16:59 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > Hello Desktop SIG,
> >
> > I have created a gnome-shell extension for Fedora Desktop LiveCD
> > which should make the Fedora Installer more discoverable. I have
> > discussed it on devel list:
> >
> > http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-April/165234.html
> >
> > and then proposed to include it into anaconda:
> >
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2012-April/msg00212.html
> >
> > Since your interest is the desktop and its default look and feel,
> > could you please voice your opinions on one of those lists
> > (preferably probably devel)?
>
> Please don't do that. We want to ship gnome-shell without extensions,
> thought I had made that clear. What do you hope to achieve by putting
> this extension in another package, making it impossible for us to
> avoid
> it ?

Matthias, please comment in devel (preferred) or anaconda-devel list, so we don't split the discussion among X lists. This was just a call for desktop SIG members.

I know your opinion and I know you disapprove. OTOH all the other people (maybe with a single other exception) see it as an improvement, and I tend to believe we make Fedora for the people. That's why I send out this call, to have more desktop-related people comment on this, not just your single voice. I'd like to know what "we" in your sentence means. I don't want to offend you in any way, but my current impression is that you're taking stance of a desktop designer purist, who doesn't want to admit this is situation where an exception to your guidelines needs to be made. I know you're putting hard work into GNOME and I'm glad for it, but in this particular case I think you're just not seeing it through the end-user eyes.

I don't try to avoid anything, the discussion is very public (that's why I ask everyone to follow on that devel thread), but F17 deadline is nearing and I don't want to miss it.