How Do I Prevent Apps from Opening in Maximized view (SOLVED - sort of)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 19:12:36 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 02:48:05PM -0400, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> On 08/02/2012 06:21 PM, Ray Strode wrote:
> ><snip>
> >
> >I believe this happens any time the initial size of the window is "close" to maximized.
> >
> >I don't know off hand if there's a way to turn that off out of the box, but I don't think so.
> >
> >--Ray
> >

> Thanks for the response it gave me an idea that works.  Seems if I
> alt-F5 to unmaxize the app's screen, then make it somewhat smaller
> and then normally exit the app, the next time it is auto started
> when I logon to G3 shell, it is NOT maximized.
>
> I see that with the current version of gnome shell, the idea is that
> an app should take up the entire screen when it is opened.
> Hopefully that will change sometime with the addition of a user
> parameter to change the behavior.

I don't think this statement is correct.  Applications opened up for
the first time don't start maximized.  I just tested this on F17
x86_64 with an app I've never used before and the window opened as a
normal size.

If I understand Ray properly, this behavior happens if the earlier
state of the window (or whatever size it starts with by default) was
close to maximized.

To test that, I just opened up the same app, increased its window size
to very large (but not maximized), and closed it.  When I opened it
again, it started maximized.