How Do I Prevent Apps from Opening in Maximized view (SOLVED - sort of)

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 4 04:20:33 UTC 2012

On 08/03/2012 03:12 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 02:48:05PM -0400, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>> On 08/02/2012 06:21 PM, Ray Strode wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I believe this happens any time the initial size of the window is "close" to maximized.
>>>
>>> I don't know off hand if there's a way to turn that off out of the box, but I don't think so.
>>>
>>> --Ray
>>>

>> Thanks for the response it gave me an idea that works.  Seems if I
>> alt-F5 to unmaxize the app's screen, then make it somewhat smaller
>> and then normally exit the app, the next time it is auto started
>> when I logon to G3 shell, it is NOT maximized.
>>
>> I see that with the current version of gnome shell, the idea is that
>> an app should take up the entire screen when it is opened.
>> Hopefully that will change sometime with the addition of a user
>> parameter to change the behavior.
>
> I don't think this statement is correct.  Applications opened up for
> the first time don't start maximized.  I just tested this on F17
> x86_64 with an app I've never used before and the window opened as a
> normal size.
>
> If I understand Ray properly, this behavior happens if the earlier
> state of the window (or whatever size it starts with by default) was
> close to maximized.
>
> To test that, I just opened up the same app, increased its window size
> to very large (but not maximized), and closed it.  When I opened it
> again, it started maximized.

I wasn't talking about apps opened the first time.  I was looking for a
way to prevent apps from opening maximized and thought there was a
default gconf or dconf parm that could be set/reset to prevent it. Ray's
response led me to resizing the open app window to a smaller size
somewhat less than close to maximized, closing it normally and on
subsequent opens, it was not maximazed.

--
Regards,
OldFart