Two questions / bugs / issues with Fedora 17 Desktop, minor but kinda important for user experience

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Mar 15 21:09:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-15 at 19:30 +0200, Elad Alfassa wrote:
> 1) who decided that system-config-date is to be installed by default
> and given the confusing (for new users) system-config-date as a name
> in the menu?
> From IRC:
> <adamw> elad661: it's called 'system-config-date' because it was
> previously called Date and Time. see the problem with that?
> <elad661> yes, I do
> <elad661> but I think we could either remove it (since gnome's control
> panel provides the functionality) or find a better name.
> <elad661> we probably need it for firstboot, so removing the desktop
> file might be a good idea

In my opinion, the search-based shell overview makes this kind of
redundancy less problematic than it was in a traditional menu system.
But yes, it is a bit of a wart that anaconda and its dependencies end up
on the installed system when installing from a live-cd.

> 2) why is "remote desktop viewer" installed by default? I thought
> gnome boxes provides this functionality now.

Does it actually provide this functionality now ? Have you tried ? I
know that the goal is to eventually support it, but I am not positive
that the feature will be in 3.4 / F17.

Matthias