Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

Lars Seipel lars.seipel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 02:52:52 UTC 2013

>   terrible mess of triplicate utilities without structure, generic
>   names, sometimes identical looking entries which are difficult to
>   navigate if one does not already know what one is looking for.

Even knowing exactly what I'm looking for doesn't necessarily protect me
from having to play the guessing game. For some apps it really boils
down to pure chance if the right one is going to open.

Disambiguating those generic names would be an obvious and easy fix but
I doubt it'll happen.

If you are willing to dispense with some of the convenience fluff that
the DEs offer you might want to look at one of the tiling window
managers like e.g. Awesome. They generally come with sane defaults (like
focus-follows-mouse and so on) but take some learning and configuration
effort until you get used to it and know how to best make use of their
functionality. As a payoff you'll never have to fiddle with window
placement or weird menus again. ;-)