Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 3 15:17:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 03:28:18PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> > Gnome design also get pretty strong feedback among the sysadmins I talk to,
>> > but I don't know enough to say if it's specific or universal (dislike for
>> > the "shield" and wanting to turn it off, for a representative example).
>> Why would sysadmins object more strongly to the shield implementation
>> than anyone else? Better multiple monitor handling sounds like it would
>
> I don't want to get hung up on any specific example, but as I said, I don't
> know, and since I don't know I'm hesitant to extrapolate to the universal.
> What I'd like is for us to test this kind of assumption, and, while I agree
> we shouldn't discount the general user completely, we should make sure we
> *do* test with our key groups, not only random people off of the street. In
> cases where the results are the same, cool, we win. In cases where there's a
> difference, we need to figure out how to accommodate.

So the two main areas for sysadmins you highlighted were multiple
monitor support, and handling large numbers of terminal windows.
Those are already addressed as things Workstation is looking at in the
Other users section, but it seems they actually fit into at least the
'corporate developer' user case as well.  I'd suggest moving those two
specific items into one of those other user cases as a starting point
and move on from there.

I'm not sure targeting sysadmins specifically is something Workstation
can focus on, because their needs often get into specific areas that
aren't really what Workstation is for.  Things like admin tools, etc.
However, we can certainly try and address the more general needs from
a sysadmin group, and of course we can (and should) solicit feedback
from them as we go.

josh