Workstation PRD approval

Christian Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Mon Dec 9 15:01:46 UTC 2013

Ok, we are going in circles here. So lets be clear we all agree that we need a system where the basics are working well. Ease of installation, robustness, driver support and so on. The system can not be inherently broken. We all agree on that point.

So the next question becomes, what is the point of the PRD? First of all it is not to define what applications people can or can not package for the Fedora ecosystem. If someone wants to package 'My little Pony click-along adventures' that is perfectly fine no matter what usecases or targets we list in the PRD.

The point of the PRD is to give an overall set of priorities/goals for the development effort around each product. Meaning where are we going to spend engineering time beyond the basic 'make the system work smoothly'. So if you are going to make general consumers a specific target we need to back that up with development plans for general consumer, like writing new applications for smoother facebook usage or more educational software for kids or whatever you decide the 'general consumer' wants. So while there might be software in such categories which ends up getting packaged for Fedora, I don't think there is anyone on this list who actually plans on writing such software for Fedora specifically.

So as I stated before and which also the PRD stated, we do hope that the workstation becomes a solid and nice desktop that a lot of people can like and want to use, because at the end of the day all users, developer or others, want the same baseline, a stable and well working system. But I think the crucial thing here is that the goal of the new products is not to just be the traditional Fedora packaging effort, but to be actual development targets where at least Red Hat plans to put paid time on developing these features. And thus putting in 'general users' as a usecase doesn't make sense to me here, because as much as we all here would love to see 2014 be the year of the linux desktop, that is very unlikely to happen just because we general users it in the PRD.

Christian