Workstation PRD approval

Marcel Oliver m.oliver at jacobs-university.de
Mon Dec 9 15:17:58 UTC 2013

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" writes:

 > On 12/09/2013 02:26 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:

 > >> That's just an outright lie
 > >>
 > >> I have never seen statement from Red Hat where it guarantees certain
 > >> amount of resources in terms of manpower or anything to be available
 > >> *always* to the community.
 > > I've never seen a statement from any member of the community that
 > > guarantees they'll commit a certain level of time or effort to Fedora.
 > >

 > Which is to be expected after all communities are made up of people
 > *volunteering their free time* to the community and that time is not
 > being volunteer to benefit Red Hat but Fedora but ofcourse Red Hat does
 > what it can to misuse that contributed time to their own benefits + I
 > dont see how that's related to you claiming that Red Hat developers are
 > resources available to the community.

As an academic user I see no problems engaging with Redhat explicitly.
Many university setups are such that on the server and centrally
managed infrastructure we have RHEL or Centos, and individual user
laptops/desktops can be on random operating systems including Fedora.
So I see it a net positive if there is some cross-talk between Fedora
and RHEL, especially if that influences the latter in a useful way.

--Marcel