Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 19:59:22 UTC 2013

Am Montag, den 09.12.2013, 16:21 +0000 schrieb "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson":
> On 12/09/2013 04:20 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > I think that GNOME is the DE suited best to become the default
>
> why do you think it's a) best for it to become the default and

Because I consider GNOME
      * fully featured: It offers everything a user needs and has a
        large ecosystem of applications you can install if you really
        miss something. When it comes to features, only KDE can compete
        with GNOME.
      * simple to use: The default user experience is straight forward.
        KDE offers more configuration option, but configuration is ten
        times harder.
      * tightly integrated: GNOME developers are trying to design a user
        experience, that is not only a desktop but a whole system.

And last but not least we need manpower for it's development and
maintenance. And this is where no other desktop can beat GNOME.

>  b) we continue to have a single default to begin with?

The word "default" implies that we need to make a choice and it there
can only be a single default. "The Fedora workstation" is supposed to be
a unique, consistent user experience.

For me the discussion is not if we need a default or not, I think we hav
ea consensus in the working group. And I don't care if the default is
GNOME or something else, I care about having integrating all desktops
into Fedora without getting in each others way.

Best regards,
Christoph