FESCo decision on 3rd party repositories

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 11 21:50:38 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:40 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Elad Alfassa <elad at fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > What is COPR?
>
> It's a newly released platform for building personal RPM repositories.
>  Somewhat analogous to Ubuntu's PPAs.
>
> http://copr.fedoraproject.org/
> https://fedorahosted.org/copr/
> https://fedorahosted.org/copr/wiki/UserDocs#FAQ
>
> josh
> --

Interesting.
We need to think and see how (and if) to integrate it with the desktop
fedora experience. I wouldn't want gnome-software searching in all of these
automatically.
Unless we get COPRs with proper metadata (an archive of all the appdata
files they contain, perhaps) and meaningful description, I can't see a way
for us to implement a good enough UI to browse and enable those from within
the desktop environment.

--
-Elad Alfassa.