Criterion revision proposal: KDE default applications

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Fri Dec 13 02:30:39 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 21:12 -0500, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Really?  We don't want to even make sure the apps that we ship by
> default in the DVD image starts?  Why are we even bothering to ship
> those additional apps then? Include in the DVD image the same set of
> apps that we include in the live images (from GNOME and KDE) and
> nothing more then.

My $0.02: I'm surprised this change is even being considered. If the
application is completely broken, and it is not important enough to be
on the live CD, and it is not important enough to fix before the
release, then the application should be dropped from the default
install: blocker resolved! If it's important enough to remain in the
default install, it's also important enough to block the release.

A basic functionality test is, well, basic, and Fedora shouldn't install
something by default that's known to be completely broken. It also
doesn't make any sense for a DVD installation to secretly result in a
lower quality desktop than a live CD installation. (Well, it doesn't
really make sense for the DVD installation to include more packages,
either, but that's a separate issue.)