F20 offline updates: way too frequent

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Dec 29 03:01:33 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-12-28 at 20:25 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-12-28 at 17:30 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > This is actually already how it works, or how it's designed to. It's
> > not
> > hard to confirm: read the settings in dconf
> > org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.updates . It notifies of
> > non-security
> > updates once a week, and security updates immediately.
>
> This policy makes sense upstream, but Fedora has almost daily security
> updates. A vendor override would be appropriate for F20.

I doubt security-conscious users would agree that they want to wait a
week for updates to save you the bother of dismissing a notification now
and again.

> I don't know if this is configurable or not in F21, where checking for
> updates is handled by gnome-software rather than gnome-settings-daemon.

No, it isn't. g-s is just a UI. The update check and notification is
still done in g-s-d/shell, AIUI.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey