Gnome 3.6 default GTK2 theme

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Mon Jan 21 17:58:02 UTC 2013

... is a major step down from Gnome 3.4 and previous.

Problems:
- GtkFrame widgets have no color. They do not show up at all now. This
was the default in GTK3 for a while but I filed a bug and had it changed.
- A 1px black line on all widget box borders. Very visually unappealing.
Thunderbird shows this most visibly.
- When you click on a application menu bar item the text changes to
white. The menu bar is already white so the text essentially disappears.
- The scroll bar used to be a close match to the GTK3 bar but now it
looks like something from 1997.
- The mouse-over color for GtkCheckBoxes is black. The whole widget and
surrounding area turns black.
- Buttons in Firefox are black (with black text!) until you mouse over.
Just go to http://bugzilla.gnome.org and look at the buttons. You'll
just see a black boxes.

QT apps use the GTK2 theme so QT apps are affected as well.

I would hope a bug for these issues was already opened, but if no one
can point me to one I will open one.

Thanks,
Michael