The new gnome-software application

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Mar 6 22:40:45 UTC 2013

On 03/06/2013 05:26 PM, Elad Alfassa wrote:
> So what is the difference, legally speaking, between packing all icons
> in an xz archive and having icons inside packages on the iso? In both
> cases we distribute them all together. Do any of the licences actually
> says that the ISO scenario is okay but the xz archive one isn't?

It boils down to being able to comply with the licenses of each on a
per-package basis. Lots of licenses require that the text of the license
accompany files under that license. Our ISOs meet that, a tarball full
of icons does not. Also, various trademark guidelines require that icons
not be distributed separately from their associated product (or software
or whatever), for good reasons. Our ISOs meet that, a tarball full of
icons does not.

It is not an insurmountable problem, but we need a mechanism to track
and comply with the licenses (copyright && trademark) on every image
file that is in play here. Simply saying "it is not a problem" and
making tarballs is not an acceptable solution, but I am willing to work
with Richard (or whomever) to identify how we can come up with one.

~tom

==
Fedora Project