Fedora Logo on the login screen

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 19 17:33:10 UTC 2013

On 03/19/2013 01:09 PM, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
> - the logo would likely not be the stock distributor's one, but one
> identifying the organization providing that leased/temporary service to
> the user. I can think of a number of reasons related to
> billing/support/accountability as of why this makes a lot more sense
> than in the "personal use" case.

At least with RHEL, IANAL but I'm not quite sure legally it's okay to
strip all RH logos from the distribution without additional burdens such
as compliance with the GPL in making the source available and other
requirements under Red Hat Trademark guidelines and potential impact to
your support contract, see
http://www.redhat.com/about/mediarelations/trademark.html

> - it's still unclear to me the benefit to the user and/or the
> distributor in showing a logo in that scenario. For example, if the
> machine has a corporate lockdown, that fact alone might discourage users
> trying to install the same OS on another personal machine. This is in my
> opinion related to the question I was asking in the second part of my
> above previous message.

I'm not really sure it's a major concern that users would feel
discouraged to install Fedora or RHEL on their home machine because they
experienced it on a corporate install as locked down - RHEL is not meant
for use on home machines, and it's questionable whether or not an
organization (I am assuming campus / nonprofit) that preloaded *Fedora*
as a desktop would lock it down as much as in a more corporate situation
since these type of organizations typically have less resources and more
flexible policies around computing. This seems a very weak argument to
me, and certainly the 'solution' of hiding the identity of the OS is an
odd way to solve this 'problem.'

~m