Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Ray Strode rstrode at redhat.com
Tue Nov 5 18:38:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
> > We should be enabling the user to get the things
> > done he/she cares about, not forcing them to learn the things we care
> > about.
> >
> > There should be no "You must be this tall to ride Fedora Workstation"
> > signs.
> [...snip...]
>
> Is it the intent that the developer cases here completely subsume the
> case of a developer who is working primarily on Fedora itself
> (including the Worsktation)?  Perhaps we should call that out to
> correctly prioritize integration of the various developer tools
> currently available or planned for the Workstation.

That's a good point, too. My mail is trying to make sure we consider
developers who don't work on Fedora, but just use Fedora for development.
Paul makes a very reasonable point that we should be clear to accomodate
(and not alienate) ourselves (Fedora contributors) as well.

So, as a throw-away example..., It might not make sense to have fedpkg in
the default install, but having an easily obtainable Fedora SDK of sorts
that includes all the bits needed to get up and going might be a good idea.

--Ray