Default Services in the Fedora Workstation

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 6 15:45:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Elad Alfassa <elad at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Elad Alfassa <elad at fedoraproject.org>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi.
>> > Does the "Fedora Workstation" vision means we can disable (or even
>> > remove)
>> > all enterprise stuff (nfs, iscsi, and lots of other pointless services
>> > for
>> > desktops) by default in our product?
>>
>> It could.  I don't think we're quite to that level of detail yet though.
>>
>> > Can we, for example, ask the Anacoda team to make dependencies on
>> > enterprise-class storage optional, thus enabling us to not ship it by
>> > default on the workstation product?
>>
>> I doubt this is really specific to anaconda.  I don't think they want
>> to create a separate installer for all the products and they are going
>> to need those dependencies on the install media to accomplish installs
>> for other products.
>
> My idea was to conditionally load those libraries. If they are not present,
> disable enterprise storage support in the UI. Sounds not too complicated.

Like everything else involved with the 3 product approach, it's going
to depend on how much it takes to do something and the resources we
have to do it.  If people working on Workstation think that's
important, it would probably be better to send patches to anaconda to
do it.  This is where the community around the product can really step
up.

josh