Draft v2 Workstation WG Governance Charter

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Tue Nov 12 15:45:49 UTC 2013

I'm perfectly fine with the draft as is:

 * In terms of adding a timeline for voting - seems fine for me.

 * -1 for using trac; the idea is that most real work happens *without* voting. We have to be able to have productive discussions on the mailing list. If the mailing list is too cluttered with user questions or whatever so that voting gets drowned out, then we'll need create a separate mailing list that we police to be on-topic. We can definitely see how things work out and adapt, but the fewer different communication channels that we have to monitor the better! I think using trac also means that it's hard for people with a casual interest to follow discussions.

 * For the language "The Work Group is highly  encouraged to seek out candidates that have been showing persistent and high quality contribution to the Workstation product." to me, this language reflects that the point of the group is to create the Workstation product and doesn't prohibit the group from also inviting members who contribute to related areas. (If they are willing to help out with planning and decision making for the Workstation product.) I dislike the "one of Fedora's desktops" language, because the point of the group *is not* to create a collection of desktops. I'm OK with "contribution to Workstation technology in Fedora" if that makes people more comfortable - though the original is better.