LISA conference, Fedora, and the sysadmin use case.

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Thu Nov 14 22:05:56 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

I think it's what mizmo referred to below - the gnome-shell case - it is just a sea of black boxes in the overview if you have too many open. and while i think there's definitely cases where people can just be more organized about their desktop usage or use workspaces more efficiently - there's also a case to be made for the admin who doesn't keep windows open to every host (anyone with any significant number of machines, basically), who might want to troubleshoot a handful of machines at once, etc.

> FWIW what I've observed in an unrelated usability study (one we did for
> systemd that involved working with terminals) is in gnome-shell, when
> you go to the overview you have a bunch of black rectangles (the
> terminal thumbs) that all look the same, so the task of identifying
> which black rectangle was the right one to click on to get the terminal
> you needed was challenging.

While it may be more of a "developer use case" than a "sysadmin use case" - I can certainly attest to the frustration of the other half of my household with the "which black rectangle" problem - his work typically involves needing numerous multiple terminal windows open simultaneously for coding, testing, tracing issues, etc. "How am I supposed to find anything?! I can't even see what is in the windows unless I click on them..."

-robyn