Fedora Workstation Desktop Environment Concept

Alex GS alxgrtnstrngl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 05:42:04 UTC 2013

Hello list,

I'm a computer science major interested in Linux software engineering and
just beginning to learn programming so I'm use-case #1 and #2.  Currently
out of all my peers I'm the only one using Linux as far as I know.  Most
students and developers even those working on Linux oriented projects
either use Mac OS out of personal preference or Windows because it's the
default in most organizations and institutions of learning.  If users
cannot naturally and effortlessly migrate to the Fedora Workstation from
Mac or Windows and find a "normal" environment they're used to, the product
will fail.  The problem is that the vast majority of Linux desktops don't
meet the design standards set by the established commercial leaders.

Currently my favorite desktop environment is Gnome Shell and my second
favorite is Mate.  Gnome Shell is "almost" there, nearly meets the modern
Mac OS level of quality end-users expect, and has an excellent technical
foundation, it just needs some simple layout modifications and changes to
menu behavior.  I've put together a *.pdf document outlining my suggestions
and ideas outlining my suggestions in this regard, see the attached link.
Hopefully this can be useful to the working group and a provide a starting
point for a discussion about the default graphical user interface for the
Workstation product.

Document Link: http://goo.gl/0IzNgK
*this is a Google Documents link

Thank you for your time and attention!