Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Wed Nov 27 09:27:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 10:47:22AM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> On 11/26/2013 07:42 AM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> > It seems to me the same goals could be accomplished by making
> > a "barebones", excellent quality 'base' Fedora and then having
> > a 'development group', a 'server group', a 'cloud group',
> > an 'other users group', etc.., of app packages that the user can
> > add to this 'base' Fedora as needed.

> I think the 'other users' will be covered by the spins. For example, the
> 'Design Suite' spin isn't going anywhere - that has Gimp, Inkscape,
> Blender, and a bunch of other stuff targeted at digital artists. Just
> because the main workstation doesn't target digital artists doesn't mean
> it won't be usable for them, and I intend to continue using Fedora for a
> workstation to use that kind of software.

I too intend to continue using Fedora.

But specifically targeting "developers" could have consequences:

- Fedora is perceived as a 'for developers only' distribution.
  This might result in less people willing to package "other"
  software for Fedora.

- Users like you or me might find that Fedora contains about
  20% stuff related to development infrastructure and libraries
  that we will never use and that we might not be able to remove.
  From our standpoint 'bloat' with acompanying security problems,
  updates and bugs.
  (For example now in Fed19 I find 81 items related to Perl.
   I don't use Perl and are all these items really necessary
   for running a base Fedora system).

AV