Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Nov 27 18:25:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 05:23:28PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:18:07PM -0500, Christian Schaller wrote:
> > Hi Matthew,
> > Because they are not primarily developing desktop applications? Or are developing cross platform applications?
>
> So who's going to write the normal desktop applications for our
> platform?

To expand on this - Fedora is the only significant distribution to use
the full GNOME stack for our desktop apps. If we don't seek to target
average desktop users then there's no incentive for developers to target
the GNOME stack, which means there's no new and interesting desktop apps
which means there's no incentive for average desktop users to run
Fedora. Saying that we won't actively discourage average desktop users
from running Fedora is a copout - the inevitable consequence is that
average desktop users will stop running Fedora because there's nothing
for them to use there.

Ignoring non-developers does nothing to advance Freedom. It's likely to
shrink our community, so it's not clear that it's doing anything for
Friends. I'd argue that any PRD should be fundamentally based on the
four foundations, and I'd like to see a strong justification for how
Workstation is doing so.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org