Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 27 19:19:48 UTC 2013

On 11/27/2013 01:49 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Are they the target audience? What compromises do Apple make
> in order to satisfy them? Does a focus on an average desktop user impair
> Apple's ability to attract them?

Developers aren't the target audience for apple (or at least they
haven't been, see [1].) I would argue historically their target users
were artists / designers / musicians and students. The only mac labs at
my college way back when for instance was only available to students in
the electronic arts dept. My first exposure to a mac was in middle
school art class where we had a single mac for scanning and photoshop usage.

OS X is built on top of a unix-like environment that's close enough to
the server envs that developers are deploying to that they'll use it. If
OS X was exactly the same but built on top of something like windows
underneath and devs were deploying to unix like environments i don't
think it would have the same dev uptake it has right now. See [2]

Doesn't Alan Cooper (and many other ux gurus) tell us there is no such
thing as an 'average user?'

~m

[1] "Apple's next OS X said to be targeted at 'power users'"
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/29/mac_os_x_10_point_nine_rumors/

[2] "'ve been a Unix geek personally and professionally for nearly 15
years now and an Apple user for nearly 20 years. Having the marriage of
the two is downright giddy for this geek."
https://web.archive.org/web/20010814140546/http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2632765-2,00.html