Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 09:01:55 UTC 2013

On 27 November 2013 21:28, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> to a rough approximation, no-one likes gnome-packagekit

What a way to be awesome.

>GNOME Software is a classic Fedora feature: in F20, it's there and it just about manages the most basic functions.

You know what, I don't know why I bother. Do you know what the
alternative is? A developer goes into a cave, and comes out two years
later with a finished design and implementation that cannot be
changed. Real (not theoretical) users try to use the finished code,
and find it unsuitable for X, Y, Z reasons. I thought Fedora was *all
about* release early, release often?

If I had 5 people working on software and application management full
time we could have done something better than gnome-packagekit years
before, and we certainly could have prototyped, designed, implemented
and tested a working offline update in less than 6 months. But the
reality was that until very recently we had a toxic environment for
the package stack with an unstable API that nobody was allowed to
alter (remember the debacle with Zif?) and a single person (me)
working about one day a week on the whole middleware and UI stack.

Anyway, I best get back to writing confusing code.

Richard