Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

Debarshi Ray rishi.is at lostca.se
Thu Nov 28 14:59:32 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 02:04:51PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> If there are no desktop users running GNOME then there's no incentive
>> for developers to target it. Targetting developers is going to change
>> our marketing message, which is going to filter out as "Fedora isn't a
>> good choice for an average end user". Users end up running Unity or
>> Cinnamon or MATE or KDE instead, developers shift to targetting them and
>> we end up with no suite of well integrated applications to ship.
>
> If that happens, I would expect Workstation to look at this and say
> GNOME isn't the correct fit.

So, lets say Workstation goes for KDE. Then, if am to follow Matthew's
argument, they interpret that as Fedora (and by extension KDE) is not a
good choice for an average end user. They switch to something else.

And then what? We switch from KDE to something else?

Or are we assuming that there is always going to be something other than
Fedora that will be the flagship distribution for KDE and make sure that
average end users stick around KDE?

Cheers,
Debarshi

--
Wearing non-prescription glasses and embracing obscurity doesn't
necessarily make you a hipster.  -- Anonymous