Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 29 17:32:58 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 02:18:19PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > I think it's completely fair to say that previously, we've responded to
> > feedback from this demographic with "well, you're not a general user --
> > you're a weird special case". What I want is to acknowledge that even after
> > all these years of that, this is still our loyal base, and to make every one
> > of those feel like we are actually directly listening to their concerns
> > (even if they can't all be addressed).
> This is just well disguised anti-GNOME FUD. I don't think this is useful at
> all. You are just trying to turn GNOME into what you personally think
> that GNOME should be, suggesting it was in some way accepted truth that
> GNOME would be awful in its current state for admin and technical
> folks. But that's not accepted truth, that's just your personal
> opinion. And I certainly disagree with it, and so do many others.

I'm not sure what you're even saying here. I didn't even say the thing you
say that I'm "suggesting". I am relaying feedback from the real world,
though, and I'd like real-world feedback to be listened to, because that's
what Fedora needs.

> > Is this a matter of just installing the right applications and tools?
> > Maybe. It also involves being responsive to feedback, and testing
> > changes with that audience to make sure that they actually make the
> > experience better as intended, rather than becoming an irritation.
> Giving up the goal of creating a desktop product that somewhat
> comprehensively covers the desktop usecase is just going to make
> everything worse for everybody. If we do desktop stuff we should do
> desktop stuff, as in the desktop space the lines where one application
> area ends and another one starts are much more fluent than on other
> areas.

This also seems like a non sequitur, so I'll repeat my point and maybee you
can say straight up if you disagree: We need to get feedback from and test
Fedora desktop user interface design changes from groups of people we
identify as important to Fedora, and be responsive to that feedback.

(I'm going to cut out your entire rant about not giving respect to the
infrastructure engineering work from the GNOME project. It's simply off
base; if I believed what you're saying I do I wouldn't be supportive of
having Gnome as the default desktop at all and we wouldn't even be having
this conversation.)

> Matthew, stay out of my desktop please, it's not your turf.

I don't know where "turf" comes into it, but I'm certainly interested in and
will continue to work on improving Fedora across the distribution. Since
desktop is an important part of that, I'm going to be involved in this too.