Where can I find python bindings for evolution?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 10:31:14 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-11-30 at 16:14 +1100, Ankur Sinha wrote:
>> Could anyone please direct me to the package, or source so I could
>> package it up? (I maintain gtg and would like to get the evolution
>> backend working).
>
> On further looking, I've found two gnome-python upstreams:
>
> One is gnome-python, which is packaged for fedora:
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-python/tree/
>
> This does not provide any bindings for evolution.
>
> The other is gnome-python-desktop:
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-python-desktop/tree/
>
> This provides bindings for evolution and a few others.
>
> Would anyone know if these still work with Gnome3? Can I just package up
> the evolution part if that still works?

If you look at the changelog from the package you'll see that the
evolution extension has been dropped. This is because the
gnome-python2-desktop bindings are written with gtk2 and evolution
needs gtk3. For all gtk3 apps you'll need to use the automatically
generated gobject-introspection bindings which evolution-data-server.

So ultimately just packaging it up won't fix the problem, you'll need
to have gtk3 support for it.

[1] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=465567

PS the upstream URL for gtg in the rpm looks to be dead so you need to
fix that up too.