Fedup to f20 didn't automatically pull down gnome-software

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 22:41:41 UTC 2013

Hi

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Christian Schaller <cschalle at redhat.com>wrote:

> Yes agreed, I mean if you are proficient enough to want to micromanage
> what software is installed with your desktop then I am sure removing the
> metapackage is within your skillset too. Of course the metapackage needs to
> stay somewhat trim here, but that is fine too as I think the new Software
> installer will reduce the need for stuff to be pre-installed as we can give
> new applications visibility in the installer as opposed to having to
> default install them for visibility.

Well, if fedup used yum instead of rpm directly, we wouldn't have this
problem in the first place but another related problem is that end users
don't usually understand meta packages.  If I remove an application and it
shows say fedora-desktop (just a example meta package name) as a dependency
to be removed,  I have no idea what that really means.

Rahul