Fedup to f20 didn't automatically pull down gnome-software

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Oct 3 13:58:04 UTC 2013

Matthew Miller (mattdm at fedoraproject.org) said:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 05:21:57PM -0400, Christian Schaller wrote:
> > I assume it might breach some packaging policy, but why not have a
> > 'desktop' rpm which requires all other packages we consider part of the
> > desktop for a given release? That way when we add new applications like
> > this we just add it as a dependency of the desktop package?
>
> I can't actually find or recall such a policy. I looked, but the last I
> could find was a 2009 conversation which ended in the comps format being
> rewritten, which solved the specific problem without answering the general
> question.
>
> We certainly do have some "meta-packages" like that -- for example from the
> top of my head, xorg-x11-drivers, and good 'ol redhat-lsb. Your idea seems
> to fit along the same lines as redhat-lsb.
>
> If we do this, does the %packages list for the spin just become that one
> file?

The goal was to turn on persistent groups in yum, so if you install the
gnome-desktop group, then on upgrade, it upgrades to the current definition
of that group. It's worth testing why this isn't working - I mentioned that
fedup doesn't use yum, but it *does* use it to determine what to download,
so it should be working there.

Bill