desktop spin alpha readiness

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Mon Sep 2 10:10:04 UTC 2013

> In addition to that, we will have a new application installer in F20
> ( https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/AppInstaller ), which will
> allow us to properly present and feature applications that are not yet
> installed. For that reason, the designers working on the app installer,
> Ryan Lerch and Allan Day, have proposed that we don't install
> transmission, simple-scan and gnome-photos by default anymore, and
> instead feature them prominently in the app installer.

I tried what happens in my F19 if I click a torrent file without having Transmission installed. I was asked whether I want to search for a suitable application, I confirmed. Then nothing happened. I waited 10 seconds, then I clicked the torrent file again. No further dialog. I assumed it's broken, but after two minutes a PK dialog popped up. I guess it was downloading the metadata 50kB/s or something, but no progress was displayed anywhere. The dialog is rather bare:

http://i.imgur.com/lB4mOTP.png

Just out of curiosity, is this going to improve in F20? Is the new app lookup going to be performed by the AppInstaller, with all the new shiny stuff, rather than plain PK GUI?

Thanks.