[Design-team] Different Backgrounds for the Lock Screen vs the desktop

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 17 15:34:11 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:01:50AM -0400, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> I think you missed the part of the thread where I mentioned how the
> current behaviour was necessary.

You did say that, but I'm not buying it.

You said that it's necessary as a key-lock. I'm sure there are other ways to
solve that which provide a less confusing user experience. And, in fact, it
doesn't actually do what you say it is for -- keypresses go right through to
the password screen. Ironically, the only thing which doesn't clear the
shield are the modifier keys traditionally used to wake a system without
causing problems (shift, ctrl, alt).

Furthermore, did notice that the Windows article you linked to is called
"worst Windows irritations". Are we really at the point where we're bragging
about having the same irritations as Windows? (And apparently that while
Windows has an option to disable the behavior we rely on buggy third-party
extensions?) I don't think you really mean that, do you?

Furthermore, while having a good experience on touch devices will
become more important as touch-enabled laptops become mainstream, I really
don't see that as the primary target for Fedora Desktop for a while now.

I think it's time for a redesign. I'm not a UI designer so I'm not going to
pretend to prescribe the details, but as it stands now, it's really not
great. If an upstream redesign isn't in the near future, let's make it right
for our users now.

> Installing and *enabling* extensions by default in Fedora, and deviating
> from upstream isn't something we'd consider.

You're mistaken here. It's definitely something we can consider.