[Design-team] Different Backgrounds for the Lock Screen vs the desktop

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 00:58:05 UTC 2013

On 09/18/2013 10:48 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> Having to maintain a separate spin isn't going to help us free time to work on this,
> and even if we are frustrated by some technical decisions that end up being made for us,
> we plough on, and try to provide better experience all the time.

Try yes succeeding no...

First nobody talked about you having to maintain anything or in other
words add additional work to the workload that you already have.

The idea that I have personally in my head ( thou community that builds
around Gnome SIG might take a different direction ) is making a venue
for people to have fun with Gnome, try,test pod probe,poke experiment,
explore and enjoy the last years of desktop as we know it.

It also can be used for practical purpose like for example it could be a
perfect venue where the more invasive changes in Gnome ( like wayland
integration ) might be introduced first time before exposed to the
broader "consumer desktop" community. ( dd if=/dev/sdX
of=/path/to/your.iso o create an iso to test if people prefer that )

So I'm not so sure we will be releasing a "spin" in that sense we
traditionally are used to, as in as an iso file limited to iso sizes and
what not hogging resources from releng,qa, infra that too me not only
takes out any kind of experimental flexibility but it would take out all
the fun of it as well and bury that under bureaucracy and I personally
dont see that as an way forward in 5 years time.

My first it's to scratch is to shave of all the legacy cruff that Gnome
is carrying with it in the distribution and fix things ( dependency ) in
the process ( so the same result can be achieved via traditional means
anaconda/lorax what not ) so I can see it for what it really is and
where we are at ,not something that is buried under 20 years of *nix.

Then build an "Gnome recipe" as I call it with that gone on top of btrfs
and the core/baseOS ( which uses in essence modified Kay's installer
script as an installer for that recipe ) and store that and other "Gnome
recipes" in a repo on github. ( Download that recipe, swap out couple of
package for wayland components boom "Gnome wayland recipe" rename the
script upload it to the repo and share it with the world )

Somewhere in the future we might come up with a native Gnome/gtk "stick
it" app which you can download those recipes, select and "stick it" to
your usb stick and share with your friends since there seems to be
marked for that ( who would not want run Linus desktop for a week and
see how it feels, well I know that I would not want to do that but I'm
pretty sure his "fans" would like that ) .

Approaching it this way gives us ( the Gnome SIG community ) the freedom
to "play" and have "fun" with Gnome without adding an additional load on
our infrastructure and have us worries about Dennis coming and tackle us
in our sleep or me having to smack myself in the back of my head wearing
my QA hat while social networking the Gnome experience ;)

And those "recipes" can be easily altered/adjusted for the other *DE
encase we as an community in large would like social networking the
entire Fedora Desktop Experience

In anycase if you dont want participate in that effort simply dont.

JBG