[Design-team] Different Backgrounds for the Lock Screen vs the desktop

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 19 14:55:39 UTC 2013

On 09/19/2013 04:54 AM, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> Ok, so let me get this straight. You created a GNOME SIG because pressing
> Ctrl or Alt or Shift doesn't raise the curtain?

Creating a 'GNOME' SIG is rather passive-aggressive, but this isn't fair
either. This is an example of causal reductionism of a much more complex
problem in that the current Fedora userbase consistently takes issues
with defaults and decisions made 'upstream.' You could attempt to reduce
the problem to any single one of the ongoing controversies (lock screen
shields, no minimize, suspend vs. shutdown, etc. etc.) but the whole
problem is much more than the sum of its parts.

These recurring threads are a negative signal. They are symptomatic of a
bigger problem - lack of open communication. I understand it is an
inconvenience to sit down and write out a problem statement, thoughts
behind various ideas explored in order to solve the problem, and a
rational explanation of why the chosen solution was chosen and what
users can expect ahead of time when you are working at breakneck pace
and trying to get the tech designed and implemented in a timely manner.
Doesn't constantly dealing with threads like this suck away the time you
need to do the awesome work you do as well, though? Why not take the
time you would spend dealing with threads like this and invest it in
putting together some outlines of whatever is happening those Google
Hangouts and IRC discussions that the majority of the Fedora community
is not party to, so that there's a bit more context around the changes
(users are ALWAYS resistant to change) available before folks start
assuming the worst in the current vacuum of information and get whipped
up into a froth like this? (git commit messages and the expectation that
users who don't work on GNOME have jhbuilds of the development code
really don't help.) Oh, and make sure these explanations actually land
on Planet Fedora, and not just the upstream planet?

Also, consider that maybe folks like Johann need a place where they can
safely experiment and learn from tweaking things without disturbing
anyone else. Maybe through that experimentation they would end up
reverse engineering the current 'frosted glass' decision-making process
and come out with a practical understanding of why upstream made the
decisions it made.

I don't think calling the SIG the 'GNOME SIG' makes sense though,
especially since that's an upstream community's name. I would think it'd
be better named, 'Desktop Playpen SIG,' 'Desktop Customization SIG,' or
something like that.

Not that my opinion matters here.

~m