ABRT?

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Sun Aug 10 17:27:24 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-07-23 at 16:15 +0200, Richard Marko wrote:
> As Jirka pointed out, retrace server is often overloaded to the point
> that retracing of small coredump takes very long time. The machine
> where
> it's hosted is also being upgraded so this shouldn't be an issue when
> the upgrade is in place.

Hey Richard and Workstation WG,

Reporting to Bugzilla is still extremely slow (I gave up on a report
today after roughly 10 minutes of "preparing environment for backtrace
generation). Unless this retrace server upgrade is coming very soon and
is expected to produce an order of magnitude performance increase, then
I think we should go ahead and disable reporting to Bugzilla in the
meantime. We can do this by removing the gnome-abrt package while
leaving the other abrt packages in place. Try this locally to see how it
works -- ABRT will still process the crashes and send automatic crash
reports to the retrace server, unobtrusively notifying the user when it
has done so, but the problematic UI for reporting to Bugzilla will be
gone.

There is one minor bug: once, by clicking on the notification in some
particular way, I received a notification that said "Failed to launch
abrt.desktop" (or something similar). It disappeared pretty quickly and
I haven't managed to reproduce. Besides that problem, this seems like a
good option to consider as the default for Workstation.

Michael